A trip back in time will definitely take me to a day in Harda. It’s a tiny town at the heart of Madhya Pradesh. Unnoticeable railway station, shabby outdoors, pathetic roads, and yet an amazingly calm and earthly demeanor that makes you feel at home.
I first met this place on a wet day. Me and my brother were to appear for an entrance test at our first convent school. It was tough – for English was never our forte. They kept talking to us in that foreign language all the while getting us to appear for tests in Mathematics, Science, and English. I don’t remember the marks I scored then, but the principal seemed pretty satisfied with however we had performed. I remember dad buying our books, notebooks, and our uniforms from their stationery shop. I remember the parking, the church, buildings under construction, ducks, birds, green color of the wet trees, incessant rain, and the hooting from the trains passing by the nearby railway station.
By the time, we completed the admission formalities, we got late and dad decided to buy us dinner from a nearby market. I remember us searching for food throughout the town in that rain. The rain, the rain, I just can’t get that rain out of my head. It just never drizzled. It poured all day so hard and with such ferocity, it forced shopkeepers to stay in and finding an eatery was hard. After much search though, we found a street side vendor selling CHAAT and GOLGAPPE (Pani Puri) in a deserted street.
GOLGAPPE – ones that I was going to remember for all my life. Now to let all of you in on what GOLGAPPE are all about, let me show you a picture and the procedure on how they are served –
These are served with a filling made from potatoes and peas and later filled with tangy tamarind or mango water. You then put the whole thing at one go inside your mouth and let it blast inside, leaving a heavenly taste on your tongue and on the cheek walls. Now, these are so thin, they tend to sog even with mild moisture in the air and that day, it was pouring. So to add some taste to them, he added hot fillings, off the stove. There were no potatoes, only peas and I’m yet to taste anything like that till date. Somehow he had added magic.
When we returned though, all I remember having was a rather unwelcome feeling of separation!
What I’d like to visit from that day again –
1. The GOLGAPPE.
2. The railway station.
3. That rain.
4. That school compound.
5. I’d like to know the marks I scored in my English test.
What I’d like to skip on my next visit –
Lets see what others have for this prompt –
- MY POISON IVY EFFECT [EMEM’S DIARY] | She Writes
- what if | the hilarious pessimist
- Toes like telltale crocuses | Butterfly Mind
- Insert End of an Era Cliché Here | AS I PLEASE
- A sight never forgotten… | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Daily Prompt: If I Could Turn Back Time- Psychology Behind Being Present And Daily Life | Journeyman
- no regrets | think | architect
- The Match | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: If I could Turn Back Time | The WordPress C(h)ronicle
- Living in The Early 1900’s – WANGSGARD
- Daily Prompt : Turning back time | Love your dog
- Those Crawling Days – Undoubtedly The Best | Ambiguity and Fraternity
- A is for April: What’s New This Month | My Little Avalon
- Personal Atonement | In the Present
- May contain nuts | Kate Murray
- DP Daily Prompt: If I Could Turn Back Time | Sabethville
- Now | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Grey | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Daily Prompt – If I Could Turn Back Time | hometogo232
- Back To The Future For A Fresh Start | Awake & Dreaming
- My fleeting high school dream of being a genetic engineer. #DNA @wordpressdotcom @postaday | Frozen Spaghetti
- What if we can Travel Through Time. | Free Thinkers Mag.
- enter | yi-ching lin photography
- Daily Prompt: If I Could Turn Back Time | Basically Beyond Basic
- Don’t do it | The verbal hedge
- Looking Back | Works By Anastasia
- If Time Could Go Back, What Would I Do? | From Hiding to Blogging
- But All the Time Turners Broke… | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- Endless Summer | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: If I could Turn Back Time | Bob’s Blog-O-Rama
- Daily prompt 🙂 | myjourneyeveryday
- My First Bloggyversary! | Haiku By Ku
- Zin « Averil Dean
- Daily Prompt: If I could Turn Back Time | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- Presente | Daily Post. – Missmosta
- For the Love of …. The NORTH BORNEO RAILWAYS | Duniya Ku
- If We Go Back | Flowers and Breezes
- Relive those moments… | FREE BIRD
- Daily Prompt: If I could Turn Back Time | | Shawn
- If I Could Turn Back Time | Dave Kester
- Turn Back, Stop at Fifty | Emotional Fitness
- The Best Moment Award: Living for the Now and for Mom’s Penguin Stories « psychologistmimi
- Revisiting myself | One Educator’s Life
- Corn | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- If I could turn back time | theoriesinthought
- I’d kick my own butt. | Thoughts Go Back
- Help Me Distribute Personal Care Items With Dignity
- Time Travel | Life Confusions
- Daily Prompt: If I Could Turn Back Time | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- If I could turn back time | That Montreal Girl
- DP: Do Over | Scorched Ice
- Travel to the innocence | Life is great
- Would I have asked you to dance? | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- First Love | wisskko’s blog
- DO NOT cash in that stock grandma gave you! | The Flavored Word
- Pure Land | Dreams to Reality !
- If I Had It To Do Over – Daily Prompt | Why is there bread in my Kool-Aid?
- Daily Prompt: If I could Turn Back Time, 01.04.14 | Markie’s Daily Blog
- It isn’t a good thing or a bad thing. It is just a thing. | Vampire Maman
- Harda – A Seed is Sown | Views Splash!
- Daily Prompt: Mother | Morrighan’s Muse
- but that was yesterday and yesterday’s gone | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- If I Could Turn Back Time | treasurethememory
- Disrupting the Flow | djgarcia94
- Once upon a summer | mnemosynesandlethe
- Do “Do Overs” Exist? | Raising Our Redheads
- You can’t always go back. | SusannaAntihero
- Glazed in Gold | Call Me Incorrigible
- Flowing Backwards | Overcoming to Becoming
- That Time We Had to Smuggle Bacon Into the Country.. | Kosher Adobo
- If I Could Turn Back Time, from the Daily Prompt | janetcatland
- If I Could Turn Back Time: Daily Post | Destino
- If I Could Turn Back Time/DP Challenge | Starting Write Now
- DP: Turn Back Time – A Question of Moments by Ruswa Fatehpuri | aliabbasali
- If I Could Turn Back Time – ROBIN’S REAL LIFE
- Daily Prompt: Being able to Relive! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- If I could, I wouldn’t . . . | Right The Writer
- If I could Turn Back Time… | ~Tiger lily~
- Of Days that Once Have Been (A Poem) | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: If I could Turn Back Time. | Ty
- It had lights! | Trucker Turning Write
- The Two-word Answer | My Author-itis
- Hindsight is 20/10 | litebeing chronicles
- Back To The Blanket | Edward Hotspur
- Letter to My Future Self | the intrinsickness
- If I Could Turn Back Time, If I Could Reminisce. | My Renaissance Blog
- Daily Prompt: If I Could Turn Back Time | F X T 8
- If I Could Turn Back Time | Late Bloomer Liz
- Wrong Answer | Speculative Paradigm Shifts
- If I could turn back time | A Guatemalan Affair
- Fleet | Seat | Retreat | fifty5words
- Daily Prompt: If I Could Turn Back Time with More Talking Animals | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Daily Prompt: Born to Be With You | Here I am !!
- Still Sand | a sweet bright thing
- Back in Time | itsmayurremember
- Unrequited | vic briggs
- If I Could Turn Back Time | Tonkadella’s Things in Life
- Daily Prompt: If I Could Turn Back Time | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- If I Could Turn Back Time | Alexia Jones
- The Past Unrecovered | Sugar, Spice, and Everything euNice
- My Regrets Aren’t What I Thought They’d Be. | ktjjenkins
- Mental Time Travel | Psychology Muffins